Monday, October 8, 2012

Beauty is Everywhere


After an emotional morning visiting the 9/11 Memorial, and a glass of wine at lunch at Adrienne's on Stone Street, Erika and I gallivanted back uptown and stopped to take some pictures at the Central Park Conservatory Garden. If you know me well, you know I have a slight obsession with Central Park, and this might be my number one unknown, least traveled spot.

The entrance to the garden is located on 5th Avenue between 104th and 105th streets. Once you walk through a large iron gate, your breath will be taken away by the first grandiose Italian-style garden. Your eyes will first notice an immense lawn with a fountain in the center. To the back there is a pergola, (similar to a gazebo) that is lined with beautiful vines and flowers. My first thought was that this would be a beautiful spot to have an outdoor wedding, (for all of my future brides to be).


If you walk to the right you’ll discover a French-style garden. There is also a fountain in the center with “Three Dancing Maidens.” This was my least favorite of the three gardens, but nevertheless extremely beautiful.


Walking left from the main entrance you’ll encounter my favorite of all the gardens, the English-style garden. The first time I walked through here I felt like I was walking through The Secret Garden, and in doing some research I discovered that the fountain and water lily pool in this section of the park is meant to honor the author of The Secret Garden, Frances Hodgson Burnett. It is such a magical place; you would never imagine you’re in the middle of the hustle and bustle of this city.




I highly recommend taking the bus or subway uptown, bringing some music or a book if you need a quiet getaway alone, or as I keep telling my parents, some wine and cheese and just relax, breathe, and embrace the beauty of the gardens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment