Monday, October 29, 2012

Beekman Beer Garden Beach Club






While the island of Manhattan awaits the expected wrath that Hurricane Sandy is sure to bring, here I sit listening to the rainfall, dreaming of a sunnier time, sans natural disaster. In continuation of my very belated blog posts, I’ve been meaning to tell you about an awesome discovery made this summer, Beekman Beer Garden Beach Club at South Street Seaport.

My friend Erika was still visiting on August 22nd, and my Dad had tickets to the 3rd Annual Nolafunk Summer Jazzfest featuring Little Feat with Papa Grows Funk and Stooges Brass Band. Visiting the beer garden was #18 on my summer bucket list, and I was happy to check it off.

Now if you’ve been following my blog, at the Umbria Jazz Fest last summer I was first introduced to Nola Jazz Zydeco music. The love has not faded, and this show was just as awesome. The brass band music is so powerful and exciting, the musicians always put on an excellent performance.






What I do want to tell you about is how cool this venue is. After you walk in and pass a long bar on your right, stroll through a tent, you are greeted with the most unbelievable view of the Brooklyn Bridge. While you’re walking to take in these panoramic views you can literally sink your feet into real sand on the ground. As I said, we were there for a concert so the set up was different, but I have heard from friends that on a normal day you can play ping pong and other various games, enjoy some food, cocktails, and of course, sample some beer. I look forward to being able to enjoy this cool spot again as soon as Sandy heads back out to sea...




No comments:

Post a Comment